Google
 

Monday, February 21, 2005

Jim Starkey

>Jim:
>When you relate ancient computer history I always wonder:
>How old are you?
>
>
>
I was born in 1949. I started programming when I was about 15 at a
technical institute that offer a weekend course in Fortran for high
school kiddies. I designed my first language about a year later, a
simulated machine language, assembler, and job control language, in IBM
1620 assember. I converted it first to an IBM 7040 then the 360 (DOS),
all in assembler. During college I worked summers programming for a TV
rating company. After college (1973), I went to work for a company
building a database computer for the ARPAnet. A couple of years later I
went to DEC to write relational database system, or so I thought. After
a bait-and-switch, I worked on a conversion of IDMS to the PDP-11.
Escaping that, I wrote Datatrieve-11 for the PDP-11, then VAX
Datatrieve. I started and spun off the VAX Common Data Dictionary
(fellow is now a senior member of Microsoft SQLServer group) and the Rdb
project. When the latter ran into trouble, I started what eventually
became Rdb/ELN (ostensibly as an engine for a natural language query
system during a flirtation with AI), which kicked off the Great Database
War. I started Interbase in 1984. I have a wife Ann, who is a nice
person and thinks I should be one, too, a cat Perry and a Portuguese
Water Dog named Wyrly. Anything else you want to know?

--

Jim Starkey
Netfrastructure, Inc.
978 526-1376

8 comments:

Reliable One Staffing Services said...

Enchanting blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! I peep the web for blogs just like this
one.
Hey son, you need to check out my pharmacy employement
blog!

Reliable One Staffing Services said...

Great blog.  I just like the site and I will get a
visit again! In my spare time I usually try and look
for blogs just as neat as yours.
Check out my temporary staffing
blog, you won't be sorry!

Reliable One Staffing Services said...

Excellent blog. Your site was great and will be
finding it again!  I surf the net for blogs like
yours.
Please proceed to my blog when you find the time.

Reliable One Staffing Services said...

Striking blog. I liked the site I will be back
again! Websurfing is a good way to find blogs like
yours.
I hope you can look through my blog.

Reliable One Staffing Services said...

Energizing blog. It blew me away and I loved your
site. when I have the time to surf the net, i try
finding blogs as good as your site.
I wish I was like you, but I'll go and peep your temporary staffing
blog.

job opportunitya said...

Hype blog. And I admire your site and plan on
returning to it! When I web surf it always helps me to
find great blogs.
You got me! I will check out your blog a.s.a.p!

job opportunitya said...

Awesome blog. I'm loving the site and I have to
return there soon! Going online, when I have the time,
I look for blogs close to your work!
Hey why don't you peep my blog site.

job opportunitya said...

Cool blog. I dig your site outline and I plan on
returning again! I just love finding blogs like this
when I have the time.
You got me! I will check out your picture of plastic surgery gone wrong blog a.s.a.p!